Isthmus Wellness offers therapeutic infrared sauna therapy.
Infrared Sauna for Detoxification
Infrared sauna detox has received significant mainstream attention as resent studies suggest that common illnesses are caused by the build-up of toxic substances in the body. Reports from the United States Center for Disease Control estimate that over 80% of all illnesses have causes rooted in personal environments or lifestyles. In an industrialized society, we can do little to reduce exposure to toxins in the air we breathe and the food we eat. As a result, sauna detox has become a leading treatment to achieve greater health and wellness.
Researchers have long known that toxic substances, including heavy metals, are secreted from the body through sweat. Therefore, the more one can safely sweat (while maintaining proper hydration), the greater quantity of toxins will be released from the body. Infrared sauna usage is one of the most effective methods of inducing a detoxifying sweat. In a sauna detox, sweat carries toxins out of the body through the pores. But not all saunas are the same.
The far-infrared heat generated by an infrared sauna produces sweat that carries nearly 20% toxins. In a traditional sauna, you can only expect up to 3% toxins. As such, a sauna detox in an infrared sauna is up to 7 times more effective than in a traditional sauna. This incredible detoxification is accomplished through proprietary and highly efficient infrared heating technology. Infrared heating technology is clinically shown to actually raise core body temperature by 2 to 3 degrees (vs. simply heating the air around the body). As a result, regular usage of an infrared sauna provides a truly deep, productive and detoxifying sweat at the cellular level, where toxins reside.
Infrared Sauna for Pain Management
According to Dr. Jeffrey Spencer, a sports medicine expert from the University of Southern California, “infrared wavelengths penetrate the body to create heat, which creates profound therapeutic benefits. They increase blood flow to the muscles, delivering more concentrated oxygen, which creates more energy to heal.”
A recent Japanese study published in the journal, Internal Medicine, showed that chronic pain patients experienced a significant reduction in pain levels (nearly 70%) after the first session of infrared sauna therapy. Pain scores also decreased significantly and remained low throughout the observation period. Researchers concluded that infrared heat therapy is effective for chronic pain treatment.(1)
Additionally, in a NASA study done by Dr. Whelan with near-infrared heat, determined that LED technology allows for deep penetration of tissue and increased cell growth from the inside.(2)
Finally, a 2003 study conducted by the Department of Dermatology and Institute of Medical Research showed that use of near-infrared heat therapy helped the production of white blood cells to alleviate inflammation and reduce swelling, two key factors in easing bodily pain.(3) Again, only mPulse’s heating technology is scientifically proven to deliver these types and levels of therapeutic near-infrared wavelengths.
Infrared Sauna for Weight Loss
If you’re looking to lose weight, Sunlighten can help. In a recent study, our saunas were shown to promote weight loss by burning calories while you relax in total comfort.
It is no secret that maintaining a healthy weight is important for overall quality of life. In fact, a 10-year study published by The New England Journal of Medicine found that waist circumference by itself is a critical factor in assessing the risk of premature death. In other words, if you can maintain a healthy weight, you may increase your likelihood of a longer, healthier life.
When it comes to burning calories with infrared sauna heat, infrared saunas have been clinically shown to dramatically aid in weight loss. Results from a 2009 study indicated that infrared saunas are beneficial for lowering weight and waist circumference in just a 3-month period. And for those who are sedentary due to medical conditions such as osteoarthritis, cardiovascular or respiratory problems, results were even more profound.(4)
Another study showed that 30-minute infrared sauna weight loss sessions can burn upwards of 600 calories. During a sauna weight loss session, your core temperature increases and the body works hard to cool itself. While using an infrared sauna, there is a substantial increase in heart rate, cardiac output and metabolic rate, causing the body to burn more calories. Blood flow is reported to rise from a normal 5-7 quarts per minute to as much as 13 quarts per minute.(5)
(1) Internal Medicine (Tokyo) Aug 15, 2008 by Matsushita K, Masuda A, Tei C. The First Department of Internal Medicine, Kagoshima University Hospital, Kagoshima, Japan.
(2) Whelan et al; The NASA Light-Emitting Diode Medical Program- Progress in Space Flight and Terrestrial Applications. CP504, Space Technology and Applications International Forum-2000, edited by M. S. El-Genk. Copyright 2000 American Institute of Physics l-56396-9 19-X/00.
(3) Lidija Kandolf-Sekulovic, Milena Kataranovski, Milos D. Pavlovic. Immunomodulatory Effects of Low-Intensity Near-Infrared Laser Irradiation on Contact Hypersensitivity Reaction. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 2003; 19: pp 203–212, Blackwell Munksgaard.
(4) Dr. Richard Beever BSc, MD, CCFP. Do Far-Infrared Saunas have Measurable Health Benefits? A Sequential Longitudinal Interrupted Time Series Design Study. 2009. Dr. Richard Beever BSc, MD, CCFP. Do Far-Infrared Saunas have Cardiovascular Benefits in People with Type 2 Diabetes? Canadian Journal of Diabetes 2010; 34 (2) :113 – 118.
(5) Dr. Masakazu Imamura, MD, et al. Repeated Thermal Therapy Improves Impaired Vascular Endothelial Function in Patients With Coronary Risk Factors. Vol. 38, No. 4, 2001. Journal of American College of Cardiology: pp 1083-1088.